Wednesday 26 October 2011

Media Evaluation

In my magazine front cover and my contents page I used a digital SLR Canon 550D Camera to take my photographs, I used a tripod and three different types of lenses. I used many different techniques such as studio shots I also took photographs outside. I often changed my shutter speed depending on what was happening in the frame. I used many different types and angles of camera shots, for example I used middle shouts and long shots to give my magazine a friendly feel.

In Photoshop I used many different techniques to create my magazine front cover and contents. The tools I used in Photoshop were:

Magic Wand Tool - to get rid of large chunks of background and to get rid of small imperfections on the text.

Brush Tool - to get rid of the shininess on some of the models faces and I also used this to get rid of red eye.

Spot Healing Tool, Healing Tool and Clone Stamp Tool - to get rid of any imperfections on the models faces.

Paint Bucket Tool - to create colour in my callouts to make them stand out.

Eraser Tool - to rub out any of my unwanted background.

Blur Tool - to rub the edges of the image so it blended into my background and the image looked natural.

Horizontal Text Tool - to create text on my contents page.

Eyedropper Tool - to get a colour close to the models skin to clear any imperfections of their faces.

Shape Tool - I used this to make a callout on my front cover so my promotion would stand out.

I also used the internet to get the style font I wanted on my front page I used a website called dafont to create my masthead because Photoshop did not have any graffiti style fonts.

There are all typical codes and conventions of a magazine and I have included these in my work:

























With my magazine I wanted to achieve a simple but modern look. A style which would stand out from the magazine rack it would be placed on. I wanted my magazine to be individual, unique because this is how I view my audience and what they would be like.

My target audience is from the age of 13-17, I have chosen this age group  because these are the people that go to school. If the age group had been any different then the people wouldn't buy the magazine because they aren't interested in school.

As my target audience is very youthful I feel as though my magazine appeals to them through a variety of ways.

I have used a graffiti style font which is how I imagine my stereotypical target audience would write their name so taking this into account I wrote the masthead and other text in this way to appeal to my target audience.

All my picture feature young people in them, all the models were between the age of 13-17 which is the same as my target audience I feel that if I had put in pictures of people any older, my target audience would not have been able to relate to them also I feel if I have put picture of anyone younger then it would have made my magazine childish and my audience would not have wanted to read it and it would appeal more to younger people.

I have put little doodles on my contents page because this is linked my target audience and is perhaps what they would do in lessons that they don't enjoy. So this would appeal to them and my audience would be able to relate to them.

I feel that the weaknesses of my magazine front cover is that the callout on the bottom of my contents page does not attract enough attention of the reader also some of my fonts on the front cover don't stand out as much as I hope they would and the text is lost into the background.

If I was to do my contents page again I would have more of a variety of angles in my photographs because most of my photos are level and I would slightly rotate my images more so they stood out more also I would change the size of my text to help the audience denote which stories were the main ones.

I think the strengths of my front cover are that is has a background instead of having a studio background this makes my magazine more realistic and makes it seem more like a school magazine. Another strength of my front cover is that it has many different colours so it appeals to most people in my target audience also I have many types of fonts which makes it more appealing.

A strength of my contents page is that it has got graffiti style font which is different from all the professional magazines I have seen also another strength of my contents page is the photo corners on my pictures this make it feel a bit like a scrap book and give it a more personal feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment